The 2nd GFCBW Mandarin Chinese Speech Contest
1. The 2nd Mandarin Chinese Speech Contest will be held at the TECRO Culture Center in Gaithersburg, Maryland on Saturday, November 9, 2019. The registration deadline is 10/31/2019.
Date and Time: Nov 9, 2019. 10:00AM – 12:00PM
Location: TECRO Culture Center, 901 Wind River Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20878
2. The contestants will select the theme of their speech. Contestants are free to develop the speech content based on their own experience with studying Chinese and related life experiences. (No poetry)
3. There will be four age groups and three categories within each age group.
a. Four age groups:
1) Kids – Age 12 and below
2) Teens – Age 13~17
3) Young Adults – Age 18~22
4) Adults – Age 23 and older
b. Three categories for each age group:
1) Beginner Group for students who have learned Chinese for less than 2 years (~ 2 minutes speech)
2) Intermediate Group for students who have learned Chinese for 2 to 4 years (~ 3 minutes speech)
3) Advanced Group for students who have learned Chinese for more than 4 years or have lived in China or Taiwan for more than 6 months (~ 3 minutes speech)
4. Heritage students already speaking Mandarin at home are not eligible to participate.
5. The contestant should be non-Taiwanese and non-Chinese nationality, born and raised outside Taiwan, China or another Chinese-speaking region, and a non-native speaker of Chinese.
6. Each contestant will be given a randomly generated number to determine his/her order in the competition within the corresponding group.
7. Scoring criteria
Language (30%): Grammar, Pronunciation and Word Selection
Content (40%): Organization, Originality and Interesting Content
Delivery (30%): Body language, Stage Presence, Volume and Energy
a. Winners will be selected from each category in every age group
b. Winners will receive a Gold, Silver or Bronze Award Certificate and a cash award of $100, $50, or $20
c. Winners of Young Adults and Adults group will get extra bonus points when they apply for Huayu Enrichment
d. All attendees will receive a nominal gift.
e. Up to 3 participants (high school or college students) will be selected to receive a scholarship of $3,000 each to spend 1 month in Taiwan (June or July 2020) in order to experience daily Chinese Language conversation and local culture.
Global Federation of Chinese Business Women of Baltimore (GFCBW)
Washington Metropolitan Association of Chinese Schools (WMACS)
Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States, Education Division and Culture Center
Charles Lin: 703-634-8622
Email address: WMACS2020@gmail.com